• Achtung, achtung!  :)

During July 27th 2024 (or 28th, depending on your time zone), hosting server maintenance is planned and the forum will not work normally (we'll set it to read-only mode at best, though it will be completely offline for a while). Hopefully, it will all go well and we will be back on line within less than 8 hours.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Note, this has nothing to do with the planned forum upgrade to version 2.3, which will most probably happen at a later date (probably in Autumn).

Relja

Dura Ace bar ends compatibility with Shimano GRX or MTB group

nik-pail

Hub Hero
Hi Relja,
I have some doubts about the compatibility of the Dura Ace 10V bar ends with the front derailleur for a double GRX crankset. 46-30. can I mount an FD-RX400?
the idea is this:
- SL-BS79 Bar End 2/3x10
- RD-M592 9v SGS
- CS-HG500-10
- HG-X 10 / HG-10
it would be all new material, I only have the crankset.
Thanks for all, Nico.

Solution
Hi Relja,
I have some doubts about the compatibility of the Dura Ace 10V bar ends with the front derailleur for a double GRX crankset. 46-30. can I mount an FD-RX400?
the idea is this:
- SL-BS79 Bar End 2/3x10
- RD-M592 9v SGS
- CS-HG500-10
- HG-X 10 / HG-10
Thanks for all, Nico.

Hi Nico,

As far as I know, the SL-BS79 shifters have no friction shifting option for the rear shifter, which is a shame - one must use compatible rear derailleur. That means it must use a compatible rear derailleur.

The front shifter is friction only (as far as I know), so it should work with practically any front derailleur.

Until I make a video showing and explaining, this is my...
Hi Relja,
the idea is this:
- SL-BS79 Bar End 2/3x10
- RD-M592 9v SGS
- CS-HG500-10
- HG-X 10 / HG-10
Thanks for all, Nico.

Hi Nico,

As far as I know, the SL-BS79 shifters have no friction shifting option for the rear shifter, which is a shame - one must use compatible rear derailleur. That means it must use a compatible rear derailleur.

The front shifter is friction only (as far as I know), so it should work with practically any front derailleur.

Until I make a video showing and explaining, this is my writing explaining friction shifters.

For the rear shifting, the close to ideal (officially recommended) setup would be to use a Shimano road rear derailleur. Most should do fine: from the 8-speed Claris, through the 9-speed Sora, 9-speed Tiagra, to the old standard 10-speed 105 and Ultegra (the new 10-speed Tiagra 4700 and 11-speed 105 and Ultegra won't work!).

I've had good results with Shimano MTB derailleurs for up to 9 speeds, but based on the recent feedback on this forum (in my native), it's not an ideal match. The thread:
https://www.bikegremlin.net/threads/sora-r3000-sa-xtr-m971.26/

Hence, I can not say with 100% certainty that the RD-M592 will work perfectly. As for the other components you listed, I would expect them to work just fine.

Relja

Solution
Hi Relja,
I agree about the perfect functioning of the components which does not happen.
But I think everything changes if I use Dura Ace 11v levers in combination with a GRX 11v rear derailleur. that's right?
Thank you, very helpful and competent.
I'm not familiar with Serbian Croatian, but I understand.

Hi Relja,
I agree about the perfect functioning of the components which does not happen.
But I think everything changes if I use Dura Ace 11v levers in combination with a GRX 11v rear derailleur. that's right?
Thank you, very helpful and competent.
I'm not familiar with Serbian Croatian, but I understand.

Hi Nico,

Yes, as far as I know, Dura Ace and GRX 11-speed shifters and derailleurs should play nicely together.

Relja

Also with bar end levers? (bs-srl1)
Officially on the site, it talks about dura ace 105 ultegra controls.
Thank you
Nico

As far as I know, all the Shimano 11-speed road shifters and derailleurs are cross-compatible (of course, the electronic Di shifters won't work with mechanical derailleurs and vice-versa).
And Tiagra 4700 10-speed derailleurs are compatible with the Shimano 11-speed road shifters and vice-versa.

If there is a combo that doesn't work well, I'd be very curious to find out.

For now, old Shimano Dura-Ace (up to 8 speeds) is the only exception where Dura Ace got a different cable-pull ratio.

Relja

Adverts

Support BikeGremlin

Help BikeGremlin stay online with a Patreon donation:

Back
Top Bottom