Bicycle hub overhaul (service) - article comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikeGremlin

Administrator
Staff member
To prevent article pages from being miles long, but preserve all the useful questions and answers provided over time, I've decided to copy/paste the website comments to the forum - and "move" further discussions here.

These are the comments from the article:
Bicycle hub overhaul (service)

This topic is closed for further replies.

If you can't find the answer to your question in this thread, please open a separate thread with your question/problem, in an appropriate forum section (this is the Wheels, hubs, rims and tyres section).

Relja

Last edited:
  1. DIEGO NARVAEZ
    09/01/2021 at 04:22
    After removing my road bike’s axels for maintenance and I found pitted cones :(, so they are due for replacement. I couldn’t find anywhere a number or model for ordering. Please advise how to identify the cone size/model.
    Thanks
    • 3fd0d771d754ced79ca6b702635900b5.jpg

Relja
      09/01/2021 at 09:19
      First thing I do is try to find the make and model – if they are printed anywhere on the hub.
      Then I google, to see if manufacturer defines and offers spare cones. For example: Shimano does define all the parts of each product in their tech. docs.. They are often difficult (impossible 🙁 ) to source, especially locally, but at least you know exactly what to look for.
      If that fails (either for not being defined and/or sold by the manufacturer, or for just not being available) – for me it’s a trip around the local bicycle shops with the damaged cone(s) – and comparing them to what’s available, trying to find the one that is the most similarly matched. Carrying axle along also helps – to confirm that the potential new cone’s threads are matching.
  2. bd10a96125e7218afa769ea342670350.jpg

mike
    19/10/2021 at 15:25
    it can be very hard to find replacement cones and those cones vary so much in size on every wheel,they basically want you to go and buy a new wheel,what i do for any hard to find parts is go find any thrown away bent wheels,rusty old bikes and build my collection of parts that way,the bikes look very old rusty and damaged but they have so many good parts that you can clean up and use.alot of spare parts you just cant buy anywhere as we are now living in this throw everything away world,one reason i built up an older steel bike was all the parts are everywhere in my area as people throw away alot of older steel bikes,i just found one old mountain bike with stripped pedals then i found another old bike with the exact same old pedals,cleaned them up and put in some new bearings and grease and got two new sets of pedals for free,even changed out the stripped pedal.pedals were about 20 years old but now run perfectly.
  3. bd10a96125e7218afa769ea342670350.jpg

mike
    19/10/2021 at 15:53
    in america they go dumpster diving for old bikes,in australia they will very often just lay 6 or so rusty bikes in a pile on the footpath or even ask you would you like to take away some rusty old bikes,thats my ebay and amazon shopping trip,free postage,free delivery,all the parts i need.some of those rusty old bikes even have good tubes and tires.i will pick up any rusty old bike,my friends even donate their rusty old bikes so i am most days saving rusty old bikes then i turn them into a rolls royce.
  4. ab4bef65a3208a487a2e422fb5d87929.jpg

Stef Johnston
    16/07/2022 at 17:29
    I find an indispensable tool for bearing work is a strong magnet – a rare earth magnet being best. It will fish out bearings that are hiding in a hub, find errant bearings that escape, and hold bearings and parts securely and in order.
    • 3fd0d771d754ced79ca6b702635900b5.jpg

Relja Novović
      16/07/2022 at 17:38
      Hi Stef,
      Great tip! 🙂
      I agree, magnets come in very handy.
      With a note:
      If I intend to reuse a bearing ball, I don’t use a magnet on it.
      My reasoning is that a magnetized bearing ball is more likely to attract and keep any metal shards, or other ferrous dirt, so it increases the risk of pitted bearings.
      I know that many mechanics use magnets and have no problems, but still, I prefer not to.
      Colour me conservative (or OCD for that matter 🙂 ).
  5. 585e62d1f88b8216e3712812d167d709.jpg

Mantas
    29/07/2022 at 08:36
    What about if hub is designed for 9 balls for each side and it has 1 ball gap. Is it wise to put more, not leaving a bigger gap. Will it give more smoothness or it will cause bearings to wear off more quickly?

1. mike
    30/07/2022 at 06:59
    Hi Mantas,you allways leave a gap on all loose bearing in a cup and system,at least a one ball gap,cheers
  2. de4d1da7a06161b8dbb2b410a2151e77.jpg

mike
    30/07/2022 at 10:05
    if you fill up the whole space you certainly will notice the difference and yes the bearings will run very rough.
  3. de4d1da7a06161b8dbb2b410a2151e77.jpg

mike
    30/07/2022 at 10:24
    i use the mechanic long magnetic tool,the one that has a spiral spring on it so you can fish out any bearings,bearings becoming magnetic is no issue,to make another bit of steel magnetic you would have to stroke a magnet up and down on it atleast a hundred time for it to become magnetic,i have been fishing out bearings with magnetic tool for many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adverts

Back
Top Bottom