The Best Bicycle Bearing Grease - article comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikeGremlin

Administrator
Staff member
To prevent article pages from being miles long, but preserve all the useful questions and answers provided over time, I've decided to copy/paste the website comments to the forum - and "move" further discussions here.

These are the comments from the article:
The Best Bicycle Bearing Grease

This topic is closed for further replies.

If you can't find the answer to your question in this thread, please open a separate thread with your question/problem, in an appropriate forum section (this is the Oils, greases and lubricants section).

Relja

Last edited:
  1. Clara Massa
    05/03/2017 at 18:38
    I’m doing this bike repair / maintenance, and to practice we’re removing the wheel bearings. But there’s nothing wrong with them initially, after refit they never rotate the way they did previously. The original grease is thick and tan coloured, like some types of automotive grease. But they have bought this ‘bike grease’ and it’s this red coloured liquidy stuff, and I think it must be the wrong grease as its weight and viscosity is entirely different from what the bikes were built with. Also we don’t have clean anything to wipe the bearings with. I think those two factors are why the refited bikes get nowhere near the right spin on the wheels, but I know nothing about this subject, I know about cars and I base this on that knowledge. Is there anything else that’d cause the refitted wheels to not spin right (besides wrong grease and dirt)?
    • 3fd0d771d754ced79ca6b702635900b5.jpg

Relja
      05/03/2017 at 18:52
      Factory grease, if older, could be a bit dried out, so that may be the reason the old grease is thicker. Having said this, bike grease should not be liquid, it should be of a peanut butter viscosity (or Nutella cream viscosity 🙂 ).
      Old grease, if not completely removed, in case it is incompatible with the new one, could cause the grease leaking.
      However, of the causes that come to mind for wheels not spinning nicely, I’d first check brakes and wheel alignment, see if there’s something in the frame creating drag.
      Finally, getting the right pre-load when assembling bearings could cause the wheels to spin harder, or develop play. This post explains the proper procedure for wheel bearings servicing:
      Bicycle hub overhaul
  2. f75cb492e1a4c584a41eedbd9944fe61.jpg

Eric
    04/06/2019 at 16:45
    Hi Relja, happy to see that I can access the English version of your web again! It seemed to be down a few days ago.
    I see that recommend the regular lithium grease. Sounds good, a lot cheaper than “special bike grease” sold in small containers, 50-100 ml for up to 10 euros or more.
    I have noticed that many bike shops use white grease, they claim that it is more water resistance. Not really worth the extra money in your opinion, I guess.
    And slightly off-topic but related, I would love to know your opinion on wax chain lube like Squirt for example.
    Thanks.

Relja
      04/06/2019 at 16:53
      Yes, it was down for about 2 hours – my fault. Didn’t update all the SSL/TLS certificates properly when migrating it – and set it to not allow connection without proper TLS/SSL encryption.
      As for bicycle chain lubricants, it depends on one’s preferences and priorities. The way based ones are cleaner. Though not very long lasting. Haven’t tried “Squirt” – they claim it’s long lasting.
      I wrote a few articles on that topic if that helps:
      Details, pros and cons of various types of bicycle chain lubricants
      Comparative overview of various bicycle chain lubricants

Though it’s probably best to test for yourself and see what suits you best. I’m not a big fan of wax based lubricants (easily displaced and too easily washed out by water). But if cleanliness is a high priority, then they are a good choice. Same goes for riding in dry and sandy/dusty areas.
  3. f9d53a96c0a91a19163ca9fb7736df23.jpg

Corey
    31/08/2019 at 19:25
    What about graphited grease, is that any good for bike wheel hubs?
  4. d8122107d4ebaba918c504bd076e6274.jpg

Juka
    06/03/2020 at 18:55
    Hi,
    Thanks for a great article about choosing good grease for maintenance. I just did hub service and used Mobil XHP, also found mention that Hope hub maker recommends using Mobil grease on their hubs.
  5. 706cbe0c009e94b704668ad07310c0b0.jpg

Branko
    17/06/2020 at 09:02
    Citam clanke i amazon komentare evo vec dva sata cime da podmazem lagere u srednjoj glavi (stari stil, dva kuglicna lezaja), te daj ovu mast te daj onu. Onda nailazim na tvoj sajt. Kad nas covek napise clanak, to je pravo u sredu. Koja mast je najbolja – ova. Oces disertaciju o svim mogucim mastima, evo ovamo link pa citaj. Svaka cast!

1. Bill
    25/07/2020 at 05:13
    Hello, great article. What’s the best lubricant for Shimano flat pedals specifically the PD-GR600s? Thank you.

Relja
      25/07/2020 at 07:51
      I’d say – the same as recommended in this article.
      Dirt intrusion is the nemesis of bicycle bearings. So, for greases, just like with washing soap: regular use is more important than the “exceptional quality”. 🙂
  2. ff246ebd794487e18a72bd85440571dc.jpg

HillBen
    04/04/2021 at 22:38
    Hello,
    I have Mobil XHP222 lithium grease. Is it safe to use on aluminum parts? I have an aluminum full suspension frame. Can I use at the bottom bracket threads with shimano external aluminum bb cups, crankset axle, anodized pivot point bolts and shock mount bolt, integrated headset, fork steerer tube made out of aluminum etc. I heard if lithium grease mixed with water can cause corrosion on aluminum. Can I use this grease everywhere in my bike?

Relja
      05/04/2021 at 06:58
      Hi,
      For threads and other stuff that aren’t bearings, i.e. for preventing seizing, I recommend using anti-seize (mounting) paste.
      Aluminium corroedes creating a thin layer of oxide that prevents further corrosion – unlike steel, where the corrosion keeps going.
      However, salty water can eat through this oxide and keep the corrosion going, so in such conditions, a protective coat of paint, or water resistant grease are needed. High quality lithium complex grease can do a good job, though I’d say that most greases marketed as “marine” are with a calcium soap thickener.
      Another problem is galvanic corrosion. Aluminium in contact with steel will start corroding, and get stuck so it can’t be (re)moved. The above mentioned anti-seize pastes are the best solution for preventing this.
      Good quality lithium-complex grease, like the Mobil XHP222 can be used for lubricating any bearings, brake pivots etc. It can be used to prevent galvanic corrosion, but must be re-applied every 6 months (to a year, depending on the riding conditions). This goes for most greases, regardless of their thickener, and base oil type (lithium, calcium, etc.).
  3. 3cfa3ed669f8b3e249398bcc2fa52556.jpg

Chris
    27/09/2022 at 07:21
    People swear by Mobex this and Park Tool that… nothing but Finish Line Lithium Grease with Teflon for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adverts

Back
Top Bottom